Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Tips for Your Property and Belongings
Fires occur for a plethora of reasons. Whether manmade or caused by nature, fires can leave a devastating path. Putting out the fire and everyone's safety is of course the main concern when dealing with damage. After extinguishing the flames, the next step our professionals at SERVPRO of Cape Coral take is to monitor your belongings as well as your properties structure. The best tip we are able to give in the aftermath of a fire is to let the professionals handle your items and your structure. Our team members are trained to mitigate fire damage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (239) 573-5911
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.